Friday, March 30, 2012

We Interrupt Your Normally Scheduled Broadcast

Me with a nail gun building houses in New Orleans summer 2011.
Like a bauss
I usually don't get too personal on here or talk about things not involving popular culture, but this is an exception. Tomorrow I am leaving for my Spring Break trip to Birmingham, Alabama with Habitat for Humanity. I will be there for ten days, hence my absence in blogging (I may blog from my friend's computer, but I'm not making any promises).
Habitat is an organization that is very dear to my heart because it literally saved my life. Three years ago, (wow was it really that long ago?) I was a shy, scared freshman and joining habitat was one of the few things that brought me out of my shell. I went from regular member to treasurer to vice president which is the current position that I hold. I will most likely become the president of the club next year. I never imagined that this would happen. Habitat was something I just joined on a whim because I wanted to do it in high school, but mine did not have one. Now it has become a major part of my life.
 I have met so many incredible people through the club and done things I never believed possible. Doing habit has helped me prove to myself that I am a capable person and that I can make a difference in the world.
So for ten days I will travel to new places, make new friends, get dirty and sweaty and wear my hair in nothing but a ponytail and have a great time. I promise I will update later on what happens because as much as cinema is a part of my life, Habitat for Humanity is too.
Spring Break 2011 in Rocky Mount, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment