Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Think You Should Know Thursday

This Thursday I bring to you the folksy, punky Englishman, Frank Turner. He has gained more recent popularity with his 2011 album "England Keep My Bones" and in opening for The Dropkick Murphys and previously Green Day. I really like Turner's sound, it's all about the power of his strumming and catchy hooks. Some may say the instrumentation of his songs sounds occasionally like Mumford & Sons, but I personally think he has a sound all his own. Some criticize Turner for his atheist lyrics, but if you can past that he is just a scruffy man who just loves to play music.
"If I Ever Stray" from "England Keep My Bones" is a song that my boyfriend showed me and first put me on Frank Turner's radar. I love the jaunty guitar and sing-a-long lyrics. It is song that you can't help tap your toes to, it has a great beat.
"'Cause love is free and life is cheap
And as long as I've got me a place to sleep
Clothes on my back and some food to eat
I can't ask for anything more"
"Photosynthesis" is perhaps my favorite song purely because of the lyrics. Turner has a lot of songs that make for great chants; lyrics that probably sound great yelled by a big crowd at a concert. This song is no exception. It is about the fears of growing up, but it is not too serious, there is still that Frank Turner rhythm and that powerful guitar. Plus, the video is adorable.  
"And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And most of all I won't grow up"

No comments:

Post a Comment