Saturday, March 3, 2012

Facebook 30 Movie Challenge

So I'm just going to pick and choose from all the multiple Facebook 30 day movie challenges which one I do each day. Keeps things more interesting and lets me answer the ones that I want to.
Day 6: Favorite Drama-Atonement 
I think Atonement (2007), directed by Joe Wright is one of the saddest, most beautiful films I have ever seen. It is also an incredible book to film adaptation, but not my favorite (that post will come later). I love it for a number of reasons, first because of the cast. Usually when I like a film it has to do with the cast and the quality of the acting. This film is no exception. Keira Knightly is perfection as Cecilia, I love the subtly of her movements and how she acts right down to her pinky. Every facial expression and gesture is so thought out and elegant. I know some people don't like her, but I for one find her not only beautiful, but  also a great actress; she was one of my favorites until she vanished off the face of the earth. James McAvoy is also fantastic as Robbie. He plays his character with just the right amount of every emotion: passion, rage, and also fragility. He and Keira have some serious chemistry. Saoirse Ronan is also perfection as the young Briony. She is a girl so convinced by the creations of her own mind that does not believe her actions are wrong. I personally find it difficult to hate her as an adult (I won't spoil why you should or shouldn't hate her if you haven't seen it) because of the way she is played by Ronan as a child. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch is in the film with possibly one of the worst creepest mustaches ever.
Paul: You have to bite it. 
(Can you tell I basically just love the entire cast?!)  
Not only is the cast amazing, but the story is too. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but it is one of those films that is the perfect combination of heartbreak and romance. The story weaves in complicated webs and leaves you in a place you rarely expected to end up in.
The cinematography and overall setting of Atonement is beautiful as well.
Cecilia:  I wouldn't necessarily believe everything Briony tells you. She's rather fanciful.
Wright takes the viewer from the luxurious Tallis family manor to the war torn beaches of Dunkirk. The costumes are also beautiful and really add to the characters' development.
Honorable mentions for best drama go to Pride & Prejudice, Up in the Air, and Black Swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment