Friday, March 2, 2012

Facebook 30 Day Movie Challenge

So school work and internet problems caught up to me so I missed a few days. But now I'm back and better than ever with a new and improved 30 days of movies (I keep losing my original list so I'm improvising and I found a new list that I will start in my next post).
Day 5: A movie that makes you laugh- Father of the Bride
I love Charles Shyers' Father of the Bride (1991) because I have such good memories associated with it and while I've never seen the original, I love it all the same. I've watched the film a number of times, mostly when it is on television with my family, especially my dad. He loves the film too and has made me promise on a number of occasions to never leave from my own wedding without saying goodbye. That is why I think it is so funny, because it reminds me so much of my own family.
George:  I'll tell you what I'm doing. I want to buy 8 hot dogs and 8 hot dog buns to go
with them. But no one selss 8 hot dog buns. They only sell 12 hot dog buns. So I end up
paying for 4 buns I don't need. So I am removing the superfluous buns.
I also think it is so funny because it is relatable. Steve Martin plays the wound up father just right; there is a touch of sadness as well as hilarity to his performance. He plays the perfect father complaining about every aspect of the wedding, but at the same time willing to do anything to make his daughter happy. Martin Short is also hilarious as the wedding planner with the unpronounceable name and very expensive taste. Father of the Bride is not only funny, but touching and sentimental all at the same time. Overall, it is a great film.
Random side note about me, I hate gag humor. If people are making bathroom jokes or hitting each other with sticks, most of the time I find the movie unfunny.
Honorable mentions go to Shaun of the Dead, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, pretty much anything staring Will Ferrell (even though I hate to admit it, he's pretty funny), Zoolander, Wedding Crashers, and The Hangover. And despite the bathroom humor in Bridesmaids, I loved it because it showed women can be (and are) funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment