Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Think You Should Know Thursday

This Thursday I share with you First Aid Kit, a band that I have pretty much been listening to exclusively this week (well, that and "El Camino"by the Black Keys). First Aid Kit is composed two incredible Swedish sisters, 21 year old Johanna and 19 year old Klara. (Their age makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life.) Their name comes from the fact that they wanted to be "a band-aid to the soul" according to Klara.
And are they ever. The girls are incredibly talented; they sing close harmonies and play guitar. Their videos usually feature them in long flowing peasant dresses running, dancing, or singing in some lush forest or field. They would fit in quite well in the 1960's, but at the same time they have a great sound that fits in well with the new folk movements of today. Their popularity as of late has grown; their new album "The Lion's Roar" is number one in Sweden and they are touring the states this month (unfortunately for me, not at a time where I can see them). They have come a long way from their early days when they gained attention for covering the Fleet Foxes' "Tiger Mountain Peasant Band" on YouTube.
"The Lion's Roar" comes from the First Aid Kit album by the same name. The song and video are haunting with the girls marching in a funereal like procession through a mist shrouded forest. It is a song that will get stuck in your head, but you won't want it to leave.
"And I'm a goddamn coward, but then again so are you
And the lion's roar, the lion's roar
Has me seeking out, has me searching for you
And I never really knew what to do"

"King of the World" is my personal favorite First Aid Kit song. It features Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes who
brings his instrumentation, namely trumpets and jaunty guitar, to the sisterly harmonies. He also joins in on the last verse, with his spoken-sung lyrics and soothing voice blending in with the girls. This song has a great rhythm and is more upbeat than many of their others. It is one of those songs you cannot help but tap your toes to.
(This video is not official, but I felt like it fit)
"I keep running around
Trying to find the ground
But my head is in the stars
And my feet are in the sky
Well I'm nobody's baby
I'm everybody's girl
I'm the queen of nothing
I'm the king of the world"

Oh and p.s. this is my 100th blog post! I would like to thank you all for reading and beg you to continue you to do so. I really appreciate all the support I've been given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment