Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Think You Should Know Thursday

This Thursday I think you should know Kina Grannis. I first discovered this lovely California songstress in 2007 during the Super Bowl. Doritos had sponsored a contest called "Crash the Super Bowl" which allowed the viewer to create their own commercial. The only thing I remember seeing was a girl with long, curly brown hair sitting on the roof with a guitar singing with an utterly beautiful voice. I instantly went out and bought the song.
And while winning the contest did not launch Grannis into stardom, she has been steadily making music and touring with some of her songs appearing on television shows. She may not be the most famous artist, but I still think she is someone you should know.
I like Grannis for her upbeat and bubbly sound. To me, she sounds honest and real-like a friend you may know. Her voice may not be the strongest, but at the same time it is pure and her music makes you feel good. Her songs are about love and happiness, two things we need more of in this world.
"Message from Your Heart" is the fateful song from the Doritos commercial that made me want to listen to more of her music. I really like the lyrics and the imagery that it evokes of the heart and the meaning of love.
"This is a message from your heart
Your most devoted body part
Taking blood and making art
This is a message from your heart
Pounding away into the dark
You can thank me for the start"
"In Your Arms" is from Grannis' new album "Stairwells" (2011). The video is really cool and her voice and songwriting skills seem to have grown over time. The song is a little less upbeat but has a soft beauty all the same. 
"Anything we have known, anything we've forgotten
In the rain, in the dark we'll lay
In your arms, in your arms I'll stay
Anything we have known, anything we've forgotten
In the rain, in the dark we'll lay
In your arms, in your arms I'll stay"

No comments:

Post a Comment