Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Think You Should Know Thursday

The artist that I think you should know this Thursday is The Narrative. I saw them a few years ago at the Loft in Poughkeepsie, NY and immediately fell in love with the harmonies done by Suzie Zeldin (who is a doll, I met her huddled under the merch table hiding from the rain) and Jesse Gabriel. Their vocals blend well together and are light and fun regardless of what they are singing about.
Their first EP Just Say Yes, was low key but well performed. It relied merely on vocals and keys played by Suzie. Just hearing a few songs from their new, self-titled album one can see how far the band has grown. The vocals are much more powerful and there are added instrumentation, notably percussion which adds a larger overall sound.
My favorite song from their original EP is "The Moment That It Stops." The vocals are stunning and the lyrics are catchy. Apparently the song was played on The Jersey Shore, which I did not realize, but regardless this is still a band people should get to know more of.
"And when you cry, the eyeliner will slip beneath your eyes to catch your breath.
Brush off your cheek, still aching as your hands whip at your sides, caress your dress."
......................
"These days drag on; I'm losing faith.
You said we'd work it out together but you're pushing me away.
Well I'm here but I fear my heart is not.
You said your heart would follow me until the moment that it stopped."

"Fade" from their new album has a similar sound to their old material, but just kicked up a notch.
"We probably shouldn't talk,
cuz talking leads to thinking and
eyes wide open blank in the dark"

No comments:

Post a Comment