Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Think You Should Know Thursday

The band I think you should know this Thursday is one of my favorites, Noah & the Whale. Calling them an  "English Folk band" would not be doing them justice because Noah & the Whale are so much more. They are folksy and indie and fun and sad all at the same time. Originally composed of lead singer Charlie Fink and girlfriend Laura Marling along with Fink's brother and some other key players, the band began their career with fun, melodic songs about life and mostly death.
Then came the changes. Charlie's brother left the band to attend medical school and Laura went on tour solo, met someone else and subsequently broke Charlie's heart. 
Laura breaking up with Charlie was possibly the best thing that could happen musically to the band. He wrote an entire album about the ordeal,  The First Day of Spring (2009) chronicling the breakup in a way that would make Voldemort feel emotional. I admit it was one of the soundtracks of my summer and one of those albums I still turn to when I'm having a bad day (or guy problems).
I saw Noah & the Whale at the Irving Plaza in NYC this summer and it was literally one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Charlie and Co. sound as good (if not better) live than they do on the CD and it was just really cool to be in the same room as a bunch of other diehard fans. Plus, I kept making eye contact with Tom the adorable fiddle/keys player so life was pretty good.
"Five Years Time" is one of the songs from the band's Laura period. Note the fun, the frivolity, the peppy sing-a-long chorus.
"'Cause I'll be laughing at all your silly little jokes
And we'll be laughing about how we used to smoke
All those stupid little cigarettes
And drink stupid wine
'Cause it's what we needed to have a good time"
Now my favorite song from the post-Laura period is "Blue Skies" (and maybe my all time favorite song of theirs). It is a song that pretty much perfectly and beautifully describes anyone who has ever been in a relationship or ever loved and lost anyone. Its one of those songs that on the right day has the power to make me cry. Note the sadness, note the heartbreak, note the swelling instrumentals that make your heart soar.

"This is the last song that I writeWhile still in love with youThis is the last song that I writeWhile you're even on my mind'Cause it's time to leaveThose feelings behindOh cause blue skies are callingBut I know that it's hard" You deserve so much better Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment