Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Day of Revelations

So today was eye opening for a number of reasons. First off, I went to the Career Development Center (CDC) at my university which is always a fun experience. Just picture a giant white room with chairs and small tables and lots of stressed out kids sitting around with their resumes and you get the idea. This is a room I need to spend more time in. It is finally starting to hit me that my college career is more than half way over and it is time to start making life decisions. How to go about that I have no idea.
My new best friend: this book. Courtesy of the CDC.
Here are the things I do know:
1. I love am passionate about movies.
2. I want a career in the film industry. But...
3. I don't want to direct. I want to be involved in pre/post production. I want to cast films. I want to approve scripts. I want to scout locations. Hell, I want to fetch coffee.
To do all these things and more I need to start taking steps towards my dreams. My time at the CDC was interesting because it forced me for the first time to think about how I was really going to achieve my goal. I kind of have this idealistic vision that I will apply and get into all the internship programs that I want. It is going to be a lot harder than that; there are students in universities across the nation, better universities, who are more qualified/passionate/involved/just plain better than I am. Its a fact.
The question is: what can I do about it? My video and film production class is a good step. Which is also good seeing as today was the day of reckoning, the day I finally got to watch the footage I shot a few weeks ago. Surprisingly the film was not a blank role that I assumed it would be, but a role full of well shot, well focused, high contrast images. I'm not sure why I doubted myself so much, but seeing those images in black and white made me gain more confidence in my abilities to actually film things. Which is good because this is what I want to do. I want to be creative and film things and make movies, but that is going to be hard if I'm afraid to even pick up a camera. I'm actually really excited to shoot my next film this weekend. We have to focus on the motion of the film rather than the narrative, but I think I have a few ideas.
But this class and my new found confidence are only the beginning. I have some goals:
1. Update my resume & learn how to write a cover letter
2. Get involved with something film related on campus (whether it be a club or an on-campus internship)
3. Apply to as many internships as humanly possible
4. Read up more about the entertainment industry
5. Learn HTML 
6. Get an awesome internship
7. Be happy (most important)
 I just have a lot to think about. It is time to stop wasting time, to take charge of my future. That's a scary thought. And exciting all at the same time. To all those reading, you are watching my life take shape before your eyes. This is real and this is me and this is growing up and all that it entails. Stay tuned. No matter what happens, I can tell you this is going to be interesting. Nothing's ever dull in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment