Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Think You Should Know Thursday

This Thursday starts a new semester so I am going to do something a little different. This week it is not a band I think you should know but songs, specifically songs from (semi) recent trailers. I could go into an entire rant about how much I love trailers, frankly it's a post I've been meaning to do for awhile, but right now that is not the point. The point is that recently some fantastic songs from bands I love have been featured in trailers and they need to be shared.
The first song is "Wake Up" from  the trailer for Spike Jonze's 2009 film Where the Wild Things Are sung by Canadian husband-and-wife band Arcade Fire. And while I liked the movie for most part, I loved the trailer. I think the song perfectly captures the vulnerability and yearning that encompasses childhood as well as the spirit of adventure that the movie represents. I love the build up to the words as well and the idea that they represent what is inside all of us. The editing and shots of Max running while the scene continuously changes is also edited to perfection. I immediately bought this song on i-tunes after seeing the trailer because seeing it for the first time gave me chills. The song is one of my favorite from the band whom if you remember, won the Grammy last year and caused the twitter "who the hell are these guys?" heard the world 'round.
"If the children don't grow up,
Our bodies get bigger, but our hearts get torn up
We're just a million little god's causin' rain storms
Turnin' every good thing to rust
I guess we'll just have to adjust."

The other song is from the more recent trailer Like Crazy (2011) directed by Drake Doremus. And while I haven't seen the film yet, I will admit that the trailer makes me tear up slightly every time I see it. The song in this trailer is "Dead Hearts" by another Canadian indie band, Stars. My favorite song by Stars is "Your Ex-Lover is Dead," but the song featured in the trailer is a close second. It captures the feeling of young love fraught with despair, loss, and hope that I believe the film is trying to convey. Also, the way it is shot and sung it makes it feel like the characters are singing and it is reflecting their emotions. 
"I can say it, but you won't you believe me.
You say you do, but you don't deceive me.
It's hard to know they're out there,
It's hard to know that you still care.
I can say it, but you won't you believe me.
You say you do, but you don't deceive me.
Dead hearts are everywhere!
Dead hearts are everywhere!"

No comments:

Post a Comment