Sunday, February 26, 2012

Facebook 30 Day Movie Challenge

Day 4- A movie that makes you sad-The Dark Knight
Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight (2008) is probably my favorite comic book film to date (followed closely by Ironman and Spiderman). It makes me sad for one reason and one reason only and that is Heath Ledger. Heath is mesmerizing as the Joker in the film; hell, he is the film. You literally cannot look away or you'll miss something, a twitch of the mouth, a shake of the head, a crooked grin-all things that completely make his performance. He changes not only his voice but his entire persona. He became the Joker. It is not worth even talking about any other actor in the film, even though they were all great (besides Maggie Gyllenhaal) because they cannot compare.
The Dark Knight makes me sad because it shows that Heath had so much left to give. He was an actor that had so much talent and yet I feel that we barely got to scratch the surface on what he can do. Like many actors, he was a man who completely lost himself inside his roles and became completely unrecognizable.I find myself getting choked up during the film not because of the content, but because of sadness at not being able to witness more of this amazing man's career. I would have loved to see what Nolan was planning on doing with him in The Dark Knight Rises. The film just won't be the same without him (but I'm sure it will be good).
An honorable mentions goes to Brokeback Mountain (for many of the same reasons and because it's actually heart-wrenching).

No comments:

Post a Comment