Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Facebook 30 Movie Challenge

Since Lent began today I wanted to try and do something for 40 days. I was going to try and watch and blog about 40 movies but as a (very involved) college student, I knew that would be next to impossible. Instead, as a way to make myself blog (almost) everyday I am going to do the 30 Facebook Movie Challenge; 30 movie related questions that I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Looking up the questions I actually just found out that there is a second part so I may be participating long after Lent is over. So, without further ado...
Day 1: Favorite Film-Fight Club
As a self proclaimed movie snob, I have always had difficulty answering this question. I feel that it should something obscure or totally out there or French, but I have to say my favorite film is David Fincher's 1999 Fight Club. Where do I even begin? With the ending that completely blew my mind? With three of my favorite actors (Brad Pitt, Ed Norton, and Helena Bonham-Carter) in lead roles? With my favorite director? I think Fight Club has everything a film should and much more. It is funny, smart, in your face, full of action, and thought provoking. I love the screenplay and think that it is a perfect adaptation of Palahnik's novel.
Every time I watch it, I find something new to enjoy. I love watching it with friends for the first time just to see their reactions. They get mad at me because I always look at their faces during the good parts and give things away, but I just can't help it. 
"You met me at a very strange time in my life."
It is hard to describe the things you love. There are so many reasons why I like Fight Club and yet I cannot explain them all. Why is it my favorite movie? It just is, for all the reasons I said before and so much more. It is about love and life and friendship; the film just speaks to me on a real level because it hits me right in the gut. I feel that Fight Club is especially applicable now more than ever
with the me-me-me-apathetic-technologically obsessed generations of today because it captures the very real fears of society (wow I sound old). While I have loved many a film, for me Fight Club is for now (and has been for awhile) my number one.
Honorable mentions go to V for Vendetta, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moulin Rouge, and Across the Universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment