Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shake It Out

I love Florence + the Machine. I listened to Lungs pretty much on repeat the entire summer.  If you see me listening to Florence music it can mean one of many things: either I'm heartbroken, happy, angry, confused, or I just need something to put as my facebook status. It all depends on the song, she has one for every mood. She's never been an artist I think you should know because I assume (and dearly hope) everyone has already heard of this amazing band.
The new album Ceremonials that was released Tuesday here in the US has been playing on my computer and ipod on repeat this entire week. I absolutely love it. I wrote a review for it for my school's blog:
http://bupipedream.com/blogs/posts/release/no-sophomore-slump-for-florence-the-machine/1224
Some of my favorite lines have been edited out, but I guess that is the price of getting published. That's why I have my own blog as well. So I can say what I want completely uncensored and (occasionally) unedited.
My absolute favorite song of the album (and potentially of all her songs) is "Shake It Out." Not only are the song and video fantastic, but the lyrics are pure poetry. I also feel like this song fits my life pretty well.
"I am done with my graceless heart 
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
Cause I like to keep my issues strong
It's always darkest before the dawn"
................. 
"And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't 
So here's to drinks in the dark at the end of my road 
And I'm ready to suffer and I'm ready to hope 
It's a shot in the dark and right at my throat 
Cause looking for heaven, for the devil in me 
Looking for heaven, for the devil in me 
Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me"

No comments:

Post a Comment