Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Letter to the Doctor

"The Doctor showed me a better way of living your life...that you don't just give up, you don't just let things happen, you make a stand, you say 'no', you do what's right when everyone just runs away."- Rose Tyler (potentially the smartest thing she's ever said) 
Dear Chris,
Christopher Eccleston: the 9th Doctor
I just finished watching season one of Doctor Who and I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for making me a Whovian and immersing me in the wacky, wild, and wonderful Who-universe. Every episode was crazier than the next; you met Charles Dickens then traveled to the year 200,000 and back again and yet I found it all plausible. You rooted yourself in reality while at the same time exploring the stars, something that was no easy feat.
I really liked you as the Doctor. Your grizzled and tough exterior made it possible for me to imagine the horrors you must have gone through in the Time War and the way you occasionally looked off into space (and maybe time) made you seem vulnerable and oh so lonely. I love that you have the ability to convey all those emotions at once. Your wry British humor was also fantastic. You were never the man with a plan; or if you had a plan, you were never completely certain it was going to work which always made for good fun.
Most of all though, I want thank you for putting up with Rose Tyler. I know that could not have been easy and we both know she rarely deserved the affection you showered on her. She may not be the smartest girl in the galaxy, but because of you I found her endearing and even sometimes likable. I found myself defending her actions to people. And really she was not that bad. Just an average girl who got the chance of a lifetime. We would all probably make the same mistakes in her shoes (okay, that might be taking things a bit far...)
As I move on to season two and many a Whovians favorite Doctor, David Tennant, I will never forget you. You may not be my favorite Doctor once this is all finished, but you will always be my first and that counts for something.
Love,
Brittany
P.S. I also have to thank Alex (who I know will read this) for making me watch Doctor Who and want to go adventuring through time and space with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment