Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Adventures in Filmmaking


I'm taking a bite out of filmmaking.
This semester I am taking my first video and film production class, which I am both terrified for and excited about. Just by walking into the class I could tell that it was going to be a different experience than what I am used to experiencing. Most people at my University take cinema classes as a way to get an easy "A" to fill their art requirement. With video and film production you have to take two prerequisites so you know that the people in this class are serious about cinema. Which is nice, but at the same time really intimidating.
I have hardly ever used a video camera except to film my sister's plays at school. Many other students in my film class play Super 8 like it's already their job. They all imagine themselves to be the next Spielberg or Tarantino or Goddard. I have no such ambitions. I do not want to be a director; I want to work on a film set or at a production studio. Honestly, my real dream job would be having a job like Ebert and Roper, hosting a t.v. show and writing about films.
However, I am ready for the challenge of this class and to see what it takes to make a film. Already reading my textbook (seen in the picture above) has taught me so many new things and that was just reading the first chapter on the parts of the camera (who knew the ordeal that went into just loading and unloading film into a camera?) But, I love learning new things so it will be fun.
And who knows, maybe I will love it and decide by the time the semester is over that I want to be the next Kathryn Bigelow...

No comments:

Post a Comment