Friday, August 5, 2011

I Think You Should Know Thursday

Technically, it is Friday, but since I haven't gone to sleep yet, to me it is still Thursday. Today the band I think you should know is Bon Iver. I am horrified at myself for not sharing them sooner. They (really meaning lead singer Justin Vernon mostly) are amazing. Probably my favorite current band. Vernon's voice is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard and his lyrics are pure poetry. Most of the time they don't even make sense, but they just sound nice.
"Holocene" is my favorite song off of their new self-titled album. So beautiful. The lyrics mean so much and at the same time nothing at all. Its one of those songs that makes you feel so small and yet such a large part of the world at the same time. So few artists have that power nowadays.
"…and at once I knew I was not magnificent
strayed above the highway aisle
(jagged vacance, thick with ice)
I could see for miles, miles, miles"
 I also have to share my favorite Bon Iver song and potentially favorite song period, "Skinny Love." I first heard it on Grey's Anatomy and literally got the chills. Vernon's voice speaks to my soul. This is one of those songs I belt out in the car with the windows down driving around my town at night realizing how beautiful the place I live really is.
"Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer
And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind
And in the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different kind
And I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines"
 This should've been the first song I shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment