Monday, January 17, 2011

"We got us a Taratino virgin!"


"You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."- Mr. White
So after the other day's tweet heard 'round the world ("I honestly can say I've never seen a Tarantino film"), I decided it was time to lose my Tarantino virginity. After putting it to a vote it was decided that my first film should also be the first directed by the man himself, 1992's Reservoir Dogs (to put this in perspective, I was one when this movie was in theaters).
The film was nothing like I expected, but at the same time I had no expectations. This was the first time I walked into a film knowing literally nothing about it-not even the plot. From the very beginning, I enjoyed every minute of it. With the first scene, I felt like I had walked in on a private conversation taking place between the cast members. It was so random, yet so funny and I feel telling of the way the film was going to go; it was Quentin saying "this film is going to be different than anything you've ever seen."
And it was. Throughout the early stages of the film I kept wondering "are we ever going to see what happened with the heist?" but by the end it didn't matter any more. We get all that we need to know with the dialogue of the characters and flashbacks. The action was unnecessary. I was especially glad the "action" was taken out of the torture scene because honestly, I don't know if I could have handled it (I forgot that sometimes gore is synonymous with Tarantino). The imagination is (usually) always better than what is shown on screen.
One of the reviews I read said the film was "an action movie comprised almost entirely of words" (Larsenonfilm.com). I completely agree. Reservoir Dogs is about the characters, their relationships, and the banter between them. I loved all the actors, especially Tim Roth who was the only one I had heard of going into the film. My favorite character in the beginning was Mr. Blonde for his charisma until he went all Picasso and then it switched to Mr. Pink for his acting and Mr. White for his calm head and compassion. Overall, all of the acting was great, I love when directors are in the films themselves. Before it was reveled what character was which color, I knew he was Mr. Brown, the only confirmed dead character, thereby inciting the death of the director and allowing the film to flow in a non-linear direction.
All and all, I feel like my first Tarantino was a success (I will say that the ending surprised me and made me laugh at the same time). I was shocked, I was amused, I was on the edge of my seat. His aestheticized portrayal of violence and the criminal world made the film extremely watchable despite the gruesome subject matter. I can't wait to see more, I think I may continue to go in order to see the progression of his career. I feel like this is "the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this. Tarantino's next film Pulp Fiction is my all time favorite film. I hope you enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so ecstatic that you liked it. I can't wait to follow your journey through QT's career.

    ReplyDelete