Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Think You Should Know Thursday

I'm terrible at remembering Thursdays for some reason, but today I finally did!
Anyway, the artist I think you should know this Thursday is the indie band from Oregon, the Decemberists. I feel like I should be on a old fashioned sailboat while listening to this band. Many of their tunes sound like old sea shanties so they're perfect to listen to on the beach or near any body of water.
However, my favorite song reminds me more of winter for some reason. Perhaps it is because the title is "Red Right Ankle" and for some reason I always picture the "Red Right Ankle" being caused by some sort of winter-sport related industry. Regardless, I think Colin Meloy's voice is melodious and haunting and the lyrics are beautiful. Check it out.

"This is the story of your red right ankle
And how it came to meet your leg
And how the muscle, bone, and sinews tangled
And how the skin was softly shed
And how it whispered, 'Oh, adhere to me
For we are bound by symmetry
And whatever differences our lives have been
We together make a limb'
This is the story of your red right ankle"

No comments:

Post a Comment