Friday, April 8, 2011

The Dilemma and the Decision


"The time has come" (the walrus said) "to talk of many things..." Well, actually it is just one thing: my Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Dilemma. With the date of the movie quickly approaching, Warner Brothers has wasted no time in created a buzz. Now mind you, the buzz doesn't need to be created by Warner Bros. there are millions of Potterheads worldwide salivating for this film but needless to say, it is happening. Now here's the rub: what's a fan to do? I am torn. Part of me realizes, although doesn't want to accept, that this is indeed the last film. After this, Harry will remain in my life, but it will not be the same. There will be no more midnight premiers,no more worrying about what scenes will be cut from the films, no more explaining what they missed but why I love it any way to my family on the ride home from the theater. So here are the two sides of this dilemma:
1.) The Surprise Side
Part of me doesn't want to know what scenes have been left out or what the score sounds like beforehand. I want to go into DH part 2 like I went into Inception, with complete and utter surprise. (That was probably a bad analogy, I will know the outcome and story of DH, it will be the details for me that I am missing). I want to have that wonder. I want to be surprised one last time.
2.) The I-Need-to-Know-Everything-Side
I like being in the know. I'm a nosy body. I need the details, the scoop. I like to tweet, to talk to people about what is going on. I feel that in order to be truly surprised I'll have to avoid all my usual means of social networking and communication. I admit, I've already given into this side of me by watching the first four minutes of the movie that leaked online and I've had to try desperately to stop myself from reading the things posted on Leaky from the Chicago screening (yes, I'm a Leaky girl since reading Harry, A History). So far that is holding up. I have seen so much already; I've seen the prologue pictures, some other stills, the trailer so part of me is like "what's the point in trying to keep anything else a surprise?" The hardest thing I know for me will be once the reviews start coming out because I read and check rotten tomatoes incessantly. Since the second film I have gotten every newspaper and magazine review and cut them out and hung them up on my bulletin board. I'm afraid that by ignoring news about the movies, I will miss out on these things. So I'm going to have to find the way to a.) collect the info and b.) not read the info once I get it. It is going to be difficult.
 So here is my pledge: I really am going to try. I am going to try to not go out of my way to look up info, click on links, or read things about DH part 2 (having this here in black and white should help a bit). This however, will not include trailers because they don't give too much away and I love trailers sometimes even more than I love movies themselves. I will make a folder on my computer and save all the links I want to read until after the movie. I will read the book one last time before the film comes out. And I will go to the midnight premiere. I will dress up. I will cry and I will not be ashamed. I will love every minute of it.
Harry has grown up, but the even scarier thing is, I have too. This is the end. I'm going to do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment